Swisslog designs, develops and delivers best-in-class automation solutions for forward-thinking hospitals, warehouses and distribution centers. We offer integrated systems and services from a single source – from consulting to design, implementation and lifetime customer service. Behind the company’s success are 2 300 employees worldwide, supporting customers in more than 50 countries.
The WDS services portfolio ranges from building complex warehouses and distribution centers, to software and consulting services in the field of supply chain management. WDS designs, develops and delivers efficient intralogistics automation solutions that enable forward thinking customers to provide the right products, to the right place, at the right time.
Our Global Consulting team in Dortmund is looking for a communicative and proactive person as
| MASTER’S DEGREE CANDIDATE (M/W)|
Master thesis topic:
“Creating and Analyzing Solutions for arranging Goods into a predefined Sequence in an intralogistics Environment (with Simulation)”
Many automated solutions follow the “Goods-to-Person” or “Goods-to-Robot” principle. In those solutions, product are stored in an automated system (i.e. Miniload, Shuttle system or Autostore). From there products are retrieved and transported to workers or robots.
Very often these goods have to arrive at the workstation in a specific sequence. This could be a very strict sequence, or a looser “grouped sequence”.
This requirement to deliver in sequence always adds cost to the system, in the form of additional equipment that is needed to ensure or correct a sequence.
- comparing the different sequencing solution currently used by Swisslog (or new ideas)
- determining which solution is best for different applications (could be defined by different order patterns (i.e. large orders versus small orders), different storage systems (i.e. miniload vs shuttle), number of workstations or overall system size)
- identify the optimal solution
- developing a flexible, configurable simulation model to understand the impact of the parameters on the performance
- Swisslog would like to come to decision rules, heuristics, formula’s to select and dimension the best sequencing solution given a set of input parameters. These should be captured in a (simple to use) tool for Swisslog users around the world.
- master student in business information systems, business administration and engineering, computer science or similar with a good interest in logistics
- strong affinity with mathematics or operations research
- experience with material flow simulation (Demo3D in particular) would be beneficial
- interest and experience in programming (C# or similar)
About Global Consulting:
Global consulting is part of Swisslog’s technology center. It’s main task is to create and optimize solutions, based on new or existing technology. Or, in this case: Storage systems, conveyors and sequencing solutions have been around for a long time, but what is the optimal way to combine them into a working solution.
The Global Consulting team is small and relatively new. Within the team we employ two former Master Students from the TU Dortmund (intralogistic), as well as a specialist in Operations Research. The candidate will be managed by the head of the group, an intralogistics professional with 15+ years’ experience.
- a theoretical master thesis topic that is embedded in a professional environment
- interesting and profitable exchange with colleagues
- a corporate culture characterized by high commitment, clarity and collaboration
Are you interested?
We kindly ask you to send your complete application to the attention of our Human Resources Department.
Ulrike Buck HR ManagerHuman Resources